Devotion[/et_pb_text][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.25.4″ global_module=”44526″]
“… The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.”
‒ James 5:16, MSG
One year, as a National Representative for Stonecroft, I worked in Alaska, so I had to fly. What a challenge it was to pack everything I needed into a suitcase. (It’s so much easier to load the car!) I knew my luggage was heavy when I checked in at the airport, but I wasn’t ready for what I saw when I went to claim it at the baggage claim area. The airlines had covered my suitcase with fluorescent orange labels as a warning to those who would attempt to lift it. The labels read, “HEAVY. Bend your knees.”
If you are carrying a heavy load, bend your knees. Take it to the Lord in prayer. Our precious Savior, the great Burden Bearer, extends this invitation: “… Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28, NLT).
In the Philippines, a local pastor used the following parable to illustrate Christ’s offer of rest and the response of people who won’t trust Him completely:
The driver of an oxcart was on his way to market when he overtook an old man carrying a heavy load. Taking compassion on him, the driver invited the old man to ride in the wagon. The old man accepted gratefully. After a few minutes, the driver turned to see how the man was doing. To his surprise, he found him still straining under the heavy weight, for he had not taken the burden off his shoulders.
Are you carrying a heavy burden today? Why not give it to the Lord and allow Him to carry it for you?
“Cast your burden on the Lord [releasing the weight of it] and He will sustain you; …”
‒Psalm 55:22, AMPC
Related Scriptures: Philippians 4:6, 1 Peter 5:7
- What do you think it means to “Cast your burden on the Lord”?
- What do you usually do with your burdens?
- Have you had a burden that has kept you in prayer day and night? How did God answer?
Who is she? Where is she?
She is that woman who needs to know Christ. She is in your community.
[/et_pb_text][et_pb_text admin_label=”Prayers” _builder_version=”3.25.4″]
- Reflect on the burdens you are carrying. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you an image of Jesus taking those burdens from you and giving you His peace.
- Pray that God would show you how to be a partner of the burden-lifting Gospel. Pray for a woman in your life who is carrying a heavy load and that Jesus would use you to see it lifted.
- Pray for Stonecroft women across the nation during the September Prays Walk month! Pray that Jesus will use us in powerful ways as we step out to love others in our communities.
- Stonecroft’s fall Prays Walk takes place during the month of September. Gather women who want to walk and pray in your community. Then share your Prays Walk story with us at stonecroft.org/prayswalk.
- Share the time God has given you. Invite a woman who doesn’t know Jesus to have coffee or a meal with you. Get to know her by asking good questions and listening well.
- Has God been putting someone on your mind lately? Take a moment and listen to Him. Then write down the woman’s name God gives you and reach out asking how you can pray for her.
Add your own personal thoughts and prayers.
What steps will you take this month to say “yes” to Jesus? How will you share the Gospel?
We Pray. God Answers. We Go![/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]