Mrs. Helen D. Baugh, homemaker in San Jose, California, initiated an extensive prayer ministry focused on the spiritual needs of America. Twenty-four prayer groups asked God for “new avenues” by which to share God’s love with others. God answered the following year when He led Mrs. Baugh to develop the first Stonecroft outreach.
1938 Mrs. Baugh established the Christian Business Women’s Council of America (later known as Christian Business & Professional Women) in San Jose as a dinner program that provided an opportunity to present the Gospel to career women. The group adopted a project of Youth Home Missions to send and support young women as itinerant missionaries to rural America. Youth Home Missions later became Rural Missions.
1948 God called Miss Mary E. Clark, former businesswoman and missionary in Maine, to join Mrs. Baugh and assist in leading the rapidly growing organization.
1949 Village (Rural) Missions was established as a separate organization in response to the need for more permanent leadership in rural churches. Rev. Walter Duff, brother of Mrs. Baugh, became the National Director and served until 1991.
1949 Christian Women’s Clubs were introduced as an outreach to homemakers. The first groups were established in Hartford, Connecticut, and Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
1951 Progress magazine became the official publication.
1952 The ministry purchased a property known as Stonecroft in Kansas City, Missouri, to serve as the national Home Office location.
1958 The Stonecroft Book and Supply Center (known as Stonecroft Resource Center) was incorporated as a distributor of carefully selected Christian books for all ages.
1962 The Life Eternally Yours booklet was published as the first Stonecroft Life Publication.
1964 The first Business and Professional Couples’ Club (now known as Stonecroft Couples’ Connection) was established in St. Louis, Missouri.
1966 International Expansion: Christian Business & Professional Women and Christian Women’s Clubs were introduced in Canada in Toronto, Ontario. The first Christian Women’s Club outside North America met in Seoul, Korea.
1967 After 5s were introduced under the sponsorship of Christian Business & Professional Women.
1968 Friendship Bible Coffees, (now known as Stonecroft Bible Studies) written by Lucille F. Sollenberger, were introduced as an outreach program of small group Bible studies.
1981 The Stonecroft Conference Center, located near Branson, Missouri, was established to provide “a vacation with a purpose” for people of all ages.
1984 The Christian Business & Professional Women introduced a condensed one-hour luncheon format as an outreach to women in the marketplace.
1989 Mrs. Baugh became Chairman Emeritus of the Christian Business & Professional Women of America. Miss Ruth Peachey was appointed as the new National Chairman of the Board of Directors.
1996 On February 7, 1996, Mrs. Helen Duff Baugh, founder of Stonecroft Ministries, went home to be with the Lord.
1997 Miss Joyce Courtney was appointed Chief Executive Officer of Stonecroft Ministries.
2002 On March 9, 2002, Miss Mary E. Clark, first National Chairman of Christian Women’s Clubs of America, went home to be with the Lord.
2004 Geneva Vollrath was appointed Chief Executive Officer of Stonecroft Ministries following Joyce Courtney’s retirement.
2005 The Stonecroft Conference Center discontinued operation.
2006 Friendship Bible Coffees were renamed Stonecroft Bible Studies.
2007 The Baugh Center for Evangelism (formerly the Morningside apartment building) was completed; the Manor was renovated to be used as a guest facility for friends of the ministry.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.