Devotion: Power of Salvation
So when we preach that Christ was crucified, the Jews are offended and the Gentiles say it’s all nonsense. But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. This foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God’s weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength.
– 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
When we decide to accept the gift of salvation from Jesus, we receive His power. The New Testament is full of references to this power we have access to: power through the Holy Spirit, power to do miracles, power to testify, power to heal, power to preach, power when we are weak, and more.
Ephesians 1:19-20 says, “I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms.”
This isn’t a superhero power. No capes. No lassos. If it feels like anything, it feels like the strength to stand firm in our faith. It feels like not crumbling when life gets tough. It feels like loving someone who doesn’t seem loveable. It feels like hope.
I often have wondered what the Church would look like if we accessed this power even just a little more often. What if we prayed confidently in this power? What might we see happen?
This power is for all who believe in Him. He’s not looking for the most pious, the perfect churchgoer, or even the prayer warrior. He’s looking for you. When we rise in the morning and clutch our cup of coffee, we can have the power of God. When we brush our teeth? It’s there too.
I bet you don’t feel like it though. I often don’t. I think it’s because we don’t ask. So today, let’s ask for this power. Let’s ask for the power to love and to testify and to heal as He wills. There is the power in our salvation, the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead!
Related Scripture: Acts 1:8, Acts 2:22, 1 Corinthians 1:18-27, Ephesians 3:18
- What do you need to ask for in God’s power?
- When have you ever felt the power of the Holy Spirit in your life?
- How can you ask God more often for this power?
Director of Marketing and Communications
Prepare the Atmosphere
Prepare the environment for prayer with worship music.
Our focus for this month is on the Power of Salvation.
Read: Psalm 95:1
Come, let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.
Pray: Oh Holy God, we approach Your throne today in thanksgiving and praise, for You are the God of our salvation! We rejoice in the fact that You love us with an everlasting love and that You provided a way for us, through Your Son, to have an intimate relationship with You. What a blessing! What a privilege! You call us Your own.
- For His gift of Jesus Christ
- For saving your soul
- For providing a way for you to have eternal life
Pray for Your Group’s Upcoming Outreach Event
Read: Luke 19:10
For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost.
Pray: Jesus, when You walked this earth, You never lost focus of why You were here. You came seeking the lost. You made friends with people the rest of the world looked down on or had cast aside.
We ask that You help us to keep the lost as our focus as we plan our meetings. May we never lose sight of that mission! And, Father, we ask that You open our eyes and hearts to those who need a Savior – those who we may have prejudged or disregarded. Help us have the courage to invite them.
- Wisdom to plan an event that would be intriguing to the lost
- Open hearts and minds of the guests who need Jesus
- Guests to feel acceptance and love from the moment they step through the door
Sharing Your Faith
Read: Ezekiel 34:16a
I will search for my lost ones who strayed away, and I will bring them safely home again. I will bandage the injured and strengthen the weak.
Pray: Sweet Shepherd of the sheep, You are willing to leave behind the 99 to search for that one lost lamb. Stir up that same passion in us. Cause us to be available to those around us who need You, to cultivate and nurture relationships with women who are desperate for hope. We ask that You remove the fear that often keeps us silent and replace it with a holy boldness. We don’t want to be obnoxious or offensive. We just want to be effective for Your kingdom.
- A deep personal desire to see the lost come to Christ
- Open doors of opportunity and the courage to walk through them
- The salvation of many souls because of your witness this year
Pray for our Nation and Leaders
Read: 2 Timothy 3:1-5
You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. …
Pray: Almighty and Righteous One, we are grieved that our nation has become just what You described in that verse! We call bad, good and good, bad. We sacrifice our children on the altar of convenience. We are a country with no shame. Forgive us, oh Lord! We confess our sin before You and humble ourselves in Your presence. Hear our prayer and heal this land!
- God’s great mercy
- A true spirit of repentance to fall on God’s people
- A cleansing of sin and revival in our country
- Righteousness to prevail in our courts and lawmaking bodies
Pray for Stonecroft
Read: Isaiah 43:19a
For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?
Pray: Heavenly Father, You are so good to us and You have been good to Stonecroft. You have led us these past 80 years, and we know that You will continue to lead us as we tune our ears to Your voice. Thank You for godly leaders who do not just rush ahead with their own plans, but rather take the time to listen for Your plan.
- God’s grace to implement the coming changes
- Continued unity among the staff
- A new energy within our existing WC groups
- God’s provision
- More conversions
Pray for ‘Light the Night’ Outreach Follow-up
(Note: Periodically, we’ll be adding prayer requests associated with the outreaches featured in the Friends of Stonecroft script for that month. This allows us to support God’s work through specific prayer, in addition to finances.)
In this month’s Friends of Stonecroft offering script, we talk about how three Stonecroft hubs in Longview, Texas, were inspired to hold a dinner party for lonely women in their community. Called “Light the Night,” the event was the idea of a woman who spent time in a shelter a few years ago. The “Light the Night” guest list included women from most of the community’s shelters, as well as other women who identified as lonely. Many, many people heard about the event and become involved in different ways. The Gospel was shared as the women heard how Jesus gives light to their dark places and how they, too, can share light in someone else’s darkness.
Stonecroft volunteers are doing follow-up activities at some of the shelters. Please pray that:
- The love of God draws women to Him
- The volunteers bring the joy of loving Jesus to the women they’re visiting with
- God meets each woman where she is, as she is
- Every woman enjoys the fellowship and fun with each other
Pray for Stonecroft Staff
- My husband, Stephen, and I are celebrating two years of marriage! So pray for year 3.
- Pray for Stephen as he finishes his master’s degree.
- Pray for Stephen and me as we lead a Young Life group.
- Pray for my husband and me to have wisdom as we make decisions concerning our future.
- Pray for safety as we travel a lot for my husband’s job.
- Pray for the health of our friends and family.
- We recently moved to pastor a new church. Please pray that we can continue to get the house unpacked and settled with two small children at home.
- Our children – Jase (3 years old) and Sawyer (7 months old) – have adjusted well to the move. Please pray that they continue to do well and that we can find the perfect place for Sawyer’s daycare.
- Please pray for health — we have battled sickness off and on during the last couple of months.
- Please pray for Sojourn City Church. It is about five years old, and we believe we are strategically placed to reach many people for Jesus. Pray that God will continue to send the right leaders to our team and foster a culture of personal evangelism within the hearts of our church members.
Pray for All Divisional Field Directors:
Read: Colossians 1:9b-12
So we have not stopped praying for you since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better.
We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light.
Pray: Oh Lord, we are excited that we now have 51 hubs! You are growing us by leaps and bounds, and we are grateful for the leadership of our DFDs. We lift them to You and pray this Scripture over them.
- Complete knowledge of His will
- Spiritual wisdom and understanding
- Their lives to always honor and please the Lord
- Them to produce every kind of good fruit – especially the fruit of the Spirit
- Them to be strengthened with all His glorious power and to have endurance and patience
- Them to be filled with joy
Stonecroft Board of Directors
Read: Ephesians 3:16-20
I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.
Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.
Pray: Praying Your Word is one of the most powerful things we can do, Lord, so we pray this Scripture prayer over our Board.
- God will empower them with inner strength through His Spirit
- Christ would make His home in their hearts
- Their roots will grow deeper into God’s love and keep them strong
- They would understand the fullness of God’s love for them
- They will be made complete and able to accomplish far more than they dreamed
Stonecroft International Partners
Read: Acts 13:47
For the Lord gave us this command when he said, ‘I have made you a light to the Gentiles, to bring salvation to the farthest corners of the earth.’
Pray: Heavenly Father, You have spread Your Word and Your light to the farthest corners of the earth through Stonecroft. Thank You for allowing us to be part of the mission to spread the Gospel all over the world! We ask for increased influence, that You will open doors of opportunity in places we have not been yet and that You will strengthen the work where we already have a presence.
Pray for our partners in Nigeria:
- That God will intervene miraculously in their economic situation
- That God-fearing leaders will be raised up in the government
- For peace in the northern part of the country where displaced Christians are being targeted by the ISIS-backed group known as Boko Haram
- For those who attended the Christmas outreach to stay involved in the community and to follow Jesus
Share Personal Requests
Pray for each other and any personal requests of your group.
Lord, we thank You for giving us Your power. We ask that Your power flow through us as we love others as You would have us love them. Give us this power to forgive, to share Your story, and to give hope. As Your power flows through us, we ask that You are made known and that You receive all glory. Amen.