Devotion: Pray for the Power of Love in Your Life
Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
– 1 John 4:7-8
I was right. I knew I was. The way I changed her words was the correct way to do it. And yet, it was all wrong.
My assignment was to edit the words of a volunteer who had been asked to write something for our magazine. I was young, hotheaded, and sure of my skills. I ripped into her article, throwing nouns and verbs around like so much trash. I rearranged. I deleted. And hurt her.
When my boss confronted me about it, I defended my choices with gusto and confidence. I was the one with a degree in journalism, after all. Surely, she would see my side.
This would not be the first or last time I barged into a situation with my thoughts and ideas brandished like swords, inflicting wounds on any who stood in my way. It was, however, the first time I realized that being right is not always right. There is a time for exactness and correctness. There are places to be perfect. But life and relationships rarely exist in that sort of time and place. Those times and places are always for love.
With time and wisdom and practice, I know now that the person comes before the performance. The caring comes before the correctness. The heart of another comes before the hotheads like me.
This is where love steps in. Love pauses to see the person first and asks what the most loving thing is to do. I cannot do that without the source of love: God. It’s interesting that the Bible gives us a definition of faith (being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see, Hebrews 11:1), but the definition of love is much simpler: God.
We know God. We have chosen to follow Him. Therefore, we know Love. Let’s leave our correctness behind and choose this path of Love. The footsteps are clearly marked by Him, even if we could never fill His shoes.
Related Scriptures: 1 John 4:7-8, 1 Corinthians 16:14, John 13:35
- Do you know someone in desperate need of an extra dose of God’s love?
- Have you ever shown God’s love to someone when they didn’t seem to deserve it? Did somebody else happen to notice it?
Director of Marketing and Communications
Prepare the Atmosphere
Play some worship music to prepare the environment for prayer.
Our focus for this month is on the Power of Love.
Read: Romans 8:38-40 (NASB)
For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Pray: We are awed and amazed, Heavenly Father, at how thorough You are to assure us that absolutely nothing can separate us from Your love. There is nothing that we can do or have done that will keep us from Your love. There is nowhere we can go without Your being right there beside us. How blessed we are and how humbled by that knowledge!
- For who He is
- For what He’s done
- For saving you and giving you eternal life
Pray for Your Group’s Upcoming Outreach Event
Read: 1 John 4:7, 20-21 (AMP)
Beloved, let us [unselfishly] love and seek the best for one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves [others] is born of God and knows God [through personal experience].
If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates (works against) his [Christian] brother he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should also [unselfishly] love his brother and seek the best for him.
Pray: Oh, Lord, we confess there are times when someone rubs us the wrong way and we don’t love as we ought, when we don’t love others the way You love us. Forgive us when we act selfishly and when our actions don’t match our words. We know that if there is dissension among the Planning Team, it will be felt and seen by our guests and we don’t want that. Do Your work in our hearts to show grace and mercy to those around us in the same way You show us grace and mercy.
- Unity among your Planning Team
- An attitude inclusive of everyone
- Every aspect of your program to glorify God and increase His Kingdom
- For courage to invite nonbelievers
Sharing Your Faith
Read: Romans 10:14 (TLB)
But how shall they ask him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them?
Pray: Heavenly Father, it is often easier to pray for someone’s salvation than it is to open our mouth to tell them about You. But, the main reason we are still here on Earth is so that we can bear witness of Your great mercy and love. Open our mouths to speak. Move us beyond words to action. Compel us, Lord. Give us wisdom and courage to seize every opportunity to speak to someone about Jesus.
- Unbiased minds, willing to reach out to anyone
- Obedient hearts to witness
- Divine appointments
- An abundant harvest of souls
Pray for our Nation and Leaders
Read: 2 Chronicles 7:14 (AMP)
(If) My people, who are called by My Name, humble themselves, and pray and seek (crave, require as a necessity) My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear [them] from heaven, and forgive their sin and heal their land.
Pray: Forgive us, Father, for not craving You and Your will as we crave food. Forgive us when we don’t require You as an absolute necessity in our lives. We cry out to You that You will change our hearts. Bring revival to us first, for how can we pray for revival in our nation without first petitioning You to bring revival to our own hearts?
We are often incensed by what we read and hear in the media about happenings in our country, and we fuss and argue with each other instead of falling on our faces before You in a humble attitude of prayer and petition.
- Repentant hearts
- A hunger so deep that Jesus would be our “necessity”
- Revival in us first and then in this land and among our leaders
- God’s miraculous forgiveness as a nation and the healing of this land
Pray for Stonecroft
Read: Colossians 4:3 (TLB)
Don’t forget to pray for us too, that God will give us many chances to preach the Good News of Christ …
Pray: Many chances to preach the Good News – that’s what we pray for as a ministry, Lord. Hundreds upon hundreds of women are part of Stonecroft. Mobilize us and cause our every effort and outreach to produce fruit for Your Kingdom.
- A clear and detailed plan for how to move forward into our next 80 years
- More donors to help fund the work
- Unity – from the top, down
- New life and fresh vision
- New outreach Where Love Lives, debuting Feb. 22.
Pray for Stonecroft Staff
- Patience and peace in the midst of job transition
- Greater range of motion in shoulder (still limited after surgery)
- Increased influence with grandkids
- Please pray for our hubs in Alaska. God is moving among the women there and the Hub Leaders are being filled with vision on how the Gospel will go forth in their cities. Please pray for them as they plan, pray, and step out.
- Please pray for the Gospel to go forth! My husband and I, along with our church family in Long Beach, California, have partnered with a local school in need to see transformation come to the lives of the children and their families. We have done backpack drives and have just partnered with Barnes & Noble to give hundreds of books to kids who have not had a new book since last year. The soil is ripe for the Gospel!
- Please pray for my mom, who lives alone and suffers from severe COPD. She is almost housebound during the winter. Pray that her faith, friends, and family bring joy into her life.
- Pray for my witness to those who don’t know Christ, especially two longtime friends.
- Pray that I would be diligent in my work. I thank God for the opportunity to talk to so many Women’s Connection and Stonecroft Bible Studies volunteers.
Pray for All Divisional Field Directors (DFDs):
Read: 2 Thessalonians 3:1 (TLB)
Finally, dear brothers, as I come to the end of this letter, I ask you to pray for us. Pray first that the Lord’s message will spread rapidly and triumph wherever it goes, winning converts everywhere as it did when it came to you.
Pray: Blessed Savior, we lift up to You each of our DFDs and ask that Your “message will spread rapidly and triumph wherever it goes, winning converts everywhere” as the DFDs reach out to build community with the hubs. We thank You for them and their dedication to Your work and ask that You bless the work of their hands.
- Increased influence
- Stability within the hub structure
- More workers in the field
- Open doors of opportunity
Stonecroft Board of Directors
Read: Proverbs 31:30b (MSG)
The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God. Give her everything she deserves! Festoon her life with praises!
Pray: Father, the women who serve on Stonecroft’s Board are women of integrity. They are productive, tending to many different tasks. Many of them not only work on the Board, but serve as Speakers, teach Bible studies, serve on various other committees, approve other Speaker’s work, etc. They are busy women. We ask that You bless them richly.
- They will have balance in their lives
- Their sphere of influence will increase
- They will have wisdom in all Board decisions
- They will be protected in all their travels
Stonecroft International Partners
Read: Isaiah 49:6b (AMP)
I will also make You a light to the nations that My salvation may reach to the end of the earth.
Pray: Oh, Holy God, You have indeed set Stonecroft up as a light to the nations. You have given us a presence in more than 40 countries, and we are spreading Your Word so that salvation may reach even to the ends of the earth!
- More ministry partners in other nations
- Safety for those ministering in countries where Christians are persecuted
- God’s provision for the work being done with orphans in Kenya
- Beatrice of Malawi, who lost her son to malaria
- The translator in Malawi and that the resources we sent would reach her
Share Personal Requests
Pray for each other and any personal requests of your group.
Lord, thank You for Your love for us to share with others. Help us to be willing to always choose the path of love in our relationships. May those watching our lives be drawn to You by the way we share and show Your love to others. Amen