“Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your a neighbor, ‘Come back tomorrow and I’ll give it to you’ – when you already have it with you.”
– Proverbs 3:27-28, NIV
Picture yourself at a Women’s Connection sitting at your usual table. Maybe you know everyone at your table; maybe you don’t. As you look around, attempting to make eye contact with at least one person, ask the Holy Spirit, “Who needs a little encouragement today?” Now – wait in silence.
We know it’s important to greet new guests and make them feel welcome. It’s also just as important to be sensitive to the needs of women who regularly attend your Group. We never want to underestimate the power of a kind word, a listening ear, and a heartfelt compliment. Each of these small, caring acts has the potential to turn around a life. Consider that you may not know what challenges someone is facing.
- You may be the only person who speaks a kind word into her life all day.
- Your compliment might be the only one she
- You may be the only person who actually makes eye contact with her and shows an interest in her well-being.
- Perhaps she is dealing with a loss and doesn’t want to talk about it; however, she would love a little unrelated conversation.
- Maybe underneath that beautiful smile, she’s really having a tough day, is depressed, and feels alone.
- Could it be that she lives alone and your Women’s Connection Group is the only social contact she has all month?
I’m not suggesting that you are the entire solution for the issues above, but you can make a difference with a little compassion and listening. Perhaps if you linger in the moment, the Holy Spirit will give you the right words of encouragement to resonate in your neighbor – just when she needs it the most.
You may never know what small impact you make on a person, but He will, and that’s what truly matters, isn’t it? You might be surprised at how easy it is to bless another, just by listening to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. Think about how wonderful it would be to leave a Women’s Connection event knowing that you made a significant difference in someone’s day!
If you’re interested in learning more about the Holy Spirit, check out the Stonecroft Bible Study, Who is the Holy Spirit? A Guide to the Holy Spirit, available at stonecroft.org/store.